Families Strong, developed by Addiction Policy Forum and Mosaic Group, is a support group developed to support families impacted by substance use disorder. The program focuses on helping family members develop self-care, build social supports, and learn effective motivational strategies for interacting with a loved one who is struggling with a substance use disorder.
Program dates and cities for North Dakota will be announced at a later date. We will be looking for group leaders and organizations that are interested in bringing this to your community.
To get more information about the program and express interest in participating as a group leader, a supporting community organization, or a family participant, click here.
Families Strong was adapted from an evidence-based, mental health, professional-led model to be more accessible and sustainable by using a peer-led support group approach.
Families Strong also helps family members to have a clear understanding of substance use disorder and substance use treatment options by:
• Discussing substance use disorder as a chronic illness
• Discussing prior treatment attempts
• Discussing supporting your loved one in treatment
• Preparing for changes in the family
• Working with refusal to enter treatment
• Minimize the negative effects of an individual’s substance use disorder on family members and friends
• Provide support for family members and friends of individuals with substance use disorders
• Change the methods the family member uses to communicate with the substance user
• Assist the substance user in getting treatment